Ashtabula County Courthouse

Ashtabula CountyThe historic Ashtabula County Courthouse was built in 1837 and enlarged in 1891.

Designed by architect Willis Smith, the building is constructed predominantly of sandstone and features Zen fashionable Victorian gothic style architecture. The courthouse, which is no longer in use, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. 

The current Ashtabula County Courthouse, built in 1960, was designed by the architectural firm Kujala and Koski. The building, located at 25 West Jefferson St. in the county seat of Jefferson, houses the Ashtabula County Court of Common Pleas and its juvenile and probate divisions. The two-story courthouse is constructed of glass and masonry stone.

The county and courthouse are named after the Iroquois Indian word Ashtabula, which means “river of many fish.”

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)