Monroe County Courthouse

Monroe County CourthouseThe Monroe County Courthouse was designed by Samuel Hannaford & Sons and built in 1908 for $150,000. Located at 101 North Main St. in the county seat of Woodsfield, the building is still in use and today houses the Monroe County Court of Common Pleas and its probate and juvenile divisions.

The courthouse features Neoclassical style architecture and is constructed of red and yellow brick. It features a large central dome made of brick, terra cotta and metal as well as a four-faced clock made by the Howard Clock Company of New York.

Monroe County is named after James Monroe, who was secretary of war during the War of 1812, U.S. secretary of state under U.S. President James Madison, and the fifth president of the United States. The courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

(Click on the picture to view a larger image.)