Ohio Judicial Center Original Dedication, May 15, 2004

Acknowledgements

Saturday, May 15, 2004, was a historic day for the Supreme Court of Ohio, as the people of the state dedicated the Ohio Judicial Center with honored guest the late William H. Rehnquist, Chief Justice of the United States. The occasion marked a new beginning in the 201-year history of the state as the judicial branch of Ohio government now has its own facilities, symbolizing the unique role of the judiciary as a separate and independent branch in our constitutional democracy.

This historic change was celebrated with a fitting tribute: representatives of the executive, legislative and judicial branches from both political parties, gathered in the company of the nation’s highest judicial officer. More than 800 citizens, elected officials and members of the bar from every corner of the state joined in the main dedication ceremony at the Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center, and nearly 600 guests attended the celebratory luncheon at the Statehouse. Both events were open to the public.

The program featured eloquent remarks from the men and women who made the Moyer Judicial Center a reality, from the chief architect and the construction manager and the legislative leaders who provided the capital funds. Chief Justice Rehnquist delivered a compelling keynote address filled with humor and historic insight.

In a powerful symbolic ceremony, the late Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer accepted the deed of the property from the governor of Ohio, Bob Taft, on behalf of the judiciary of Ohio. Accompanying the governor in making this gesture, and representing the legislative branch, were Senate President Doug White, Speaker Pro Tempore of the House of Representatives Gary Cates, former Senate President Richard Finan, former Senate Minority Leader Leigh Herington, former House Speaker Jo Ann Davidson and former House Minority Leader Patrick Sweeney.

Workers from the original construction of the Ohio Departments Building in 1931 and from the 2004 renovation of the Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center.

Sincere gratitude on behalf of the Court is extended to all of those who made this possible:

Harry Hake, Cincinnati
Architect, 1929-1933
DAG Construction
Schooley Caldwell Associates
Restoration Architects and Engineers
Danis Building Construction Co.
Messer Construction Company
Renovation Construction Manager
DuPont Flooring Systems
Moody/Nolan Ltd. Inc. Dynalectric Company of Ohio
Smoot Construction Forum Manufacturing Inc.
The Ohio Building Authority Fox Mechanical
Steven C. Hollon
Administrative Director
Graf & Sons
The membership and leadership of the Ohio General Assembly Harmon Inc.
Former Governor George Voinovich Harold J. Becker Company
Governor Bob Taft Headwaters Group
Accent Drapery King Business Interiors
Allied Environmental Services Library Design Associates
Altman Construction Company Lithko
AmPam Commercial Midwest McCormick Equipment Co.
Baker Concrete Technologies Inc. Meridian Filing Systems
Buckeye Electric The Myron Cornish Company
Boise Workspace Omni Fireproofing
Chet Baker & Company O'Rourke Welding
Cleveland Construction Otis Elevator
The Cleveland Marble Mosaic Co. Steelcase
Columbus Sign Co. St. Louis Lighting
Continental Office Thomas Ruff
Contract Interiors Wanner Metal Worx